REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Senior Leadership Team
CONTRACT PERIOD: This is a 0.8FTE (4 days / 32 hours per week) permanent, part-time position
SALARY RANGE: $46,000 – $48,000, plus benefits
ORGANIZATION: Climate Action Network – Réseau action climat (CAN-Rac) Canada builds social consensus for bold climate action by nurturing a diverse network of passionate organizations.
Canada’s primary network of organizations working on climate change and energy issues, CAN-Rac is a coalition of 130 organizations operating from coast to coast to coast. Our members include major Canadian environmental organizations, local volunteer-run organizations focused on regional issues, and organizations of all sizes and scopes in between. While Climate Action Network nodes exist all over the world, Canada’s is unique in that it brings environmental NGOs together with trade unions, First Nations, social justice, international development, health and youth organizations, faith groups and local, grassroots initiatives. For 32 years, CAN-Rac has been the only national organization with a mandate to promote the interests of the Canadian climate movement as a whole, rather than any one individual organization.
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Senior Leadership Team, the Operations Lead will support the ongoing operations of the organization, focusing on technical support, operational logistics and day-to day administrative functions for the CAN-Rac secretariat, board, and membership network. The Operations Lead will perform a range of communications and membership support functions as well as functions related to the general administration of the organization.
- Information Technology Maintenance and Optimization
- Maintain and optimize CAN-Rac’s information technology infrastructure
- Ensure efficient operation of the organization’s computer network, databases, communications systems and office equipment
- In time, work with the Senior Leadership Team to provide onboarding training to new staff, volunteers, interns, and contractors to ensure they understand CAN-Rac’s operations and information technology systems and processes.
- Office Administration
- When allowed to return to in-person office, administer office operations including serving as a first point of contact for general inquiries to the CAN-Rac office, ordering office supplies, receiving and responding to letter mail
- Support remote office operations through the remainder of pandemic closures and provide ongoing support to remote working staff
- Team Administrative Support
- Provide administrative support for CAN-Rac board meetings, including preparing board meeting agendas and meeting packages, overseeing meeting logistics, preparing board minutes, providing logistical support for the Annual General Meeting and assisting with other board development activities as needed
- Provide administrative support for the CAN-Rac secretariat and project partners, including, as needed scheduling and hosting staff meetings and project meetings, preparing and sharing minutes for project meetings, and providing additional staff capacity to assist with production of events, activities, and communication products
- Receive new member application packages and work with the Board and Senior Leadership Team to process new member applications
- Provide CAN-Rac team with advice, recommendations and other input to improve operational and strategic performance
- Event Support
- Provide logistical and administrative support for CAN-Rac events, and CAN-Rac participation in domestic and international climate events. This will include researching, negotiating and confirming travel and accommodation bookings, as well as managing accreditation of CAN-Rac staff and members to accredited events.
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Languages – English is essential; bilingual (English/French) an asset.
- Education/Experience – Post-secondary certificate or diploma in a related field (development, environment, administration), plus 1-2 years of work experience in an administrative support position OR equivalent level of progressive related work experience in lieu of post-secondary education with a minimum of three (3) years of related work experience.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS:
- Advanced computer skills. Software knowledge and familiarity will ideally include the following. Training on unfamiliar systems is available.
- contact database systems (Salesforce)
- video conferencing (Zoom)
- communications software (e.g. Slack, Mailchimp)
- Spreadsheet programs (Excel etc.)
- Word processing programs (Word etc.)
- Social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- WordPress website administration
- Commitment to CAN-Rac’s Mission Statement and Charter and Domestic Policy Statement
- Commitment to pursuing climate and social justice and nurturing diversity and inclusivity wherever and however possible.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to an ever changing work environment.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize to meet required deadlines.
- Self-starter and able to work independently, while also being a strong contributor to a vibrant team
- A desire to be be bold and experiment
- A drive for success
This is a permanent, part-time (0.8FTE, 4 days / 32 hours per week) position starting at $46,000 – $48,000, prorated to start date. Following the successful completion of the three-month probationary period, generous group benefits are provided, along with a 6% matching RRSP program.
Applications will be accepted until 4pm ET Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
Please send a resume, the names and contact information of two references, and a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and qualifications to the Managing Director at email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Preferred start date is July 2021 or as soon thereafter as possible.