The Manitoba Council for International Cooperation (MCIC) is a coalition of Manitoba-based organizations involved in international development. Its mission is to support, connect and amplify the work of its members and partners. We directly engage and collaborate with Manitobans for global sustainability by:
- Supporting connections and capacity development in members and partners for greater impact
- Engaging the public to be active global citizens
- Supporting international cooperation through funding
- Maintaining and strengthening organizational wellness
The Public Engagement Specialist is part of the INSPIRE Team at MCIC, which engages directly with Manitobans about international cooperation and the Sustainable Development Goals. This position is part of a team engaging Manitobans, especially youth, to be active global citizens.
This position is primarily responsible for MCIC’s classroom workshops for Manitoba students, professional development sessions for Manitoba educators, engagement with youth and promotion of the Sustainable Development Goals. As this position will regularly engage with students in Manitoba schools (when allowed by school divisions and Government of Manitoba COVID-19 regulations) the successful candidate should be double vaccinated.
This position will report to the Director of Engagement and Learning. This is a full-time position based in Winnipeg, Manitoa and may require some travel, evening and weekend meetings.
MCIC staff are currently working remotely.
- Post-secondary degree in Education or International Development Studies, or a related discipline
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting
- Knowledge of international development/ global issues/ social justice/ sustainability/ gender equality
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Workshop design and facilitation skills, including virtual facilitation
- Familiarity with Manitoba curriculum
- Proven relationship-building and partnering skills
- Commitment to MCIC’s Development Principles, including an understanding of a human rights-based approach to development
- Effective time management abilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in word-processing, email and spreadsheet and database management software (including Microsoft Office)
- Cross-cultural and gender sensitivity
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Abuse Registry Check or willing to get one.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ideal candidate will be fluent in English and French
- Valid Driver’s License
- Working or volunteering with NGOs and international development organizations
- Experience living and/or working internationally
- Event planning
- Program Development & Delivery
- Develop and nurture relationships with Manitoba schools and educators
- Plan and deliver youth programming in schools and other venues (both in-person and virtual), including Generating Momentum conferences throughout the province
- Plan and deliver educator professional development sessions about international development, global issues and the Sustainable Development Goals, with a focus on gender equality
- Develop educational resources (worksheets, classroom activities, workshops) about international development, global issues and the Sustainable Development Goals, with a focus on gender equality
- Prepare content for monthly educator newsletter
- Coordinate special events, including International Development Week programming
- Coordinate Global Citizenship Awards for students and educators and other opportunities for youth recognition
- Measurement and Evaluation
- Assist in appropriate follow-up with programming participants
- Track and report on participant engagement and feedback
- MCIC Team Support
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Provide content for MCIC resources such as newsletters, posters, website, social media
- Other duties as assigned
Position: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: $42,000 - $53,000 plus benefits
Start Date: as soon as possible
MCIC is committed to equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. We value diversity in the workplace and believe our work is stronger when it benefits from the experience and knowledge of a diverse team. Applications are encouraged from all candidates, including women, Indigenous Peoples, people with disabilities, people of various sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, racialized people, and others who can contribute to the diversity of our team and our work, and who share our mission. We are committed to providing an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or
adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please indicate this in your application.
Please submit cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com by September 7, 2021. Please indicate in the subject line the title of the position you are applying for.