Trees Winnipeg (Save the Elms Manitoba Coalition Inc) is a not-for-profit charity dedicated to promoting the
benefits and concerns of treesin Winnipeg’s urban areas, focusing on tree diversity and care. We are responsible
for overseeing and coordinating the Million Tree Challenge, the ReLeaf Program , the Heritage Tree Program,
Ask an Arbourist, Arbour Day celebrations, as well as other initiatives. Trees Winnipeg is made up of one
employee and 1 to 2 staff or contractors, and a volunteer board of directors and advisors. Our expertise is as
diverse as our board members: we have arborists, academics, writers, retirees, provincial agency employees,
communications practitioners, members of neighbourhood tree groups and non-governmental organizations.
We are hiring a Full-time professional Executive Director to oversee our day-to-day operations, our various
programs, and help us move the Million Tree Challenge forward. Our ED is responsible for the overall
management of Trees Winnipeg and reports to the Board of Directors. We are looking for a highly organized,
motivated administrator and managerwith a passion for trees and urban green spaces, who’s not afraid to get
dirty! The successful candidate will have strong project management and administrative skills, an awareness of social media marketing strategies, the ability to connect with people, and experience managing within a non-
Hours will vary depending on program requirements.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
• Administering and implementing existing Trees Winnipeg programs & initiatives (ReLeaf, Ask an Arbourist,
the Heritage Tree Program, general public education and awareness)
• Managing Trees Winnipeg revenues, expenses, budgets and general operations
• Managing 1 – 2 staff or contractors, including assigning work and ensuring good results
• Recruiting and mobilizing volunteers to help run our various programs
• Securing funding from governments, foundations and others
• Working with community partners, including providing advice and connecting resources to neighbourhood
associations, schools, and churches to establish their own tree-planting initiatives
• Contributing to implementation of the Million Tree Challenge
• Organizing and attending board meetings, including taking and distributing meeting notes
• Monitoring Trees Winnipeg email, website, social media including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to
promote Trees Winnipeg and our programs
• Communicating with the public and various levels of government to connect with resources supporting tree
For a more complete list of responsibilities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required skills or experience:
• Experience as an Executive Director or Manager within a non-profit organization;
• Post secondary degree or diploma in an administrative or managerial field, or experience related to the
position in lieu of a degree or diploma (please be specific in your cover letter/resume if this is the case
• Experience keeping financial records;
• Extensive experience with Microsoft Office 365: Excel, OneDrive, SharePoint, Outlook, Word.
It would be nice if you had:
• Criminal Record Check with satisfactory result,
• Knowledge of trees and the issues facing Winnipeg’s urban canopy would be an asset,
• Understanding of City of Winnipeg procedures would be considered an asset.
We're looking for a self-starter who can manage their time effectively. The role requires drive and a sense of
accountability because the day-to-day working environment will involve very little direct supervision. There’s
also a physical component during some of our programming initiatives (lifting trees, helping people put heavy
bags of mulch into their cars).
Some training will be provided to the successful candidate, but there’s a lot of room to put your individual touch
on this position! The successful candidate will be expected to conform to all COVID-19 health recommendations
as directed by the Boardwhen working in the office or with the public.
Trees Winnipeg is proud of our diversity and encourages folks from different backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com by 6 pm on Wednesday, April 20, 2022. Please include
a cover letter explaining why you believe you’d be a good fit for the organization and what you’d bring to the
We appreciate your interest, but please note that we will only be contacting successful applicants.