If you work within the co-operative or the community economic development sectors and would like a better understanding of the co-operative movement as a whole, the many types of co-operatives and the process and challenges of developing cooperatives and key resources, CoopZone's introductory course on co-operative development is for you!
This course is appropriate for people interested in understanding the basic co-op development process but who will not be active developers, such employees or directors those in credit unions, co-ops, or other workplaces with an interest in co-op development.
Participant will build an understanding of:
- The nature and scope of the co-operative movement;
- The benefits, basic characteristics and types of co-operatives that address people’s needs & aspirations;
- The co-op development process and the roles of the potential members and development facilitators; and
- Some resources available for co-op development.
Courses start in mid-October and the deadline to apply is September 23rd.
Some bursaries are also available. Funding for the bursaries has been provided by Vancity Credit Union, Assiniboine Credit Union, Carrot Cache as well as the Manitoba Cooperative Promotion Board. The deadline for bursaries is Oct. 3rd
For More Information
To learn more about this course and obtain the application form, please go to: www.coopzone.coop/courses or write to Eric Tusz-King at: CoopZoneTraining at gmail.com.
Here's what some of the students have had to say:
"The course is concise, informative and interactive. Mentors and course director are very knowledgeable, skilled, experienced, approachable and helpful. The readings and tools were very useful." Billy Granger, SEED Winnipeg
"I would absolutely recommend the CoopZone program to anybody interested. The course is pretty amazing in the way that it creates a common community amongst us aspiring co-op developers and several fully established and tremendously experienced ones. The instructors are great, and the mentoring system gives me the chance to have hours of one-on-one time with an expert in my desired field." Joel Ratcliffe, Ontario
"After working and consulting with non-profits for over 20 years, Co-op Zone training has given me the understanding and tools to finally be able to work with co-ops. During the course I had 4 groups engage me to help start or transition their co-op, and my assigned mentor as well as the CoopZone network helped guide me through it. Thank you!" Rick Juliusson, FreeRange Consulting, BC
"What I like about the program:
- The webinars and online presentations, and the opportunity to connect with others across the country involved in the same work.
- The mentor element is great it’s been wonderful to have access to (my mentor’s) wealth of knowledge and perspectives.
- Access to the CoopZone listserv & tele-learning sessions has been good, too.
- The wonderfully curated and assembled reading materials.
- Learning together with great people–the director, cohort and mentors.” Zoë Creighton, Upper Columbia Co-op Council, BC