Next Up was created by a community of people who wanted to help emerging leaders (that’s you!) develop new and better skills, smarts and ideas. The program is intense. Over 6.5 months, we’ll dive into a number of topics and disciplines, combining theory, practice, deep thinking, and hard skills.
We’ll look at how change is made in society. We’ll meet some of the most innovative change-makers in Manitoba — from the non-profit, labour, business and public sectors and from Indigenous, settler and newcomer communities—
who are working for a better world.
Do you wonder what the future holds for our world? Are you concerned about things like climate change, poverty, public health and education, housing and government policy? Do you believe that global and local issues are connected? Do you feel that our economic system is focused on profit at the expense of people and the planet? Do you believe it is possible for us, as communities, to do things differently at home and abroad, to eradicate poverty, to deal with conflict peacefully, to rise to the climate challenge fairly, and to ensure everyone has access to good public health and education services?
If you answered yes to many of the questions above, this program may be for you.
Next Up has a number lenses through which we explore social change. Lenses include decolonization, anti-oppression and equity. Climate Justice is a key lens for the program as Climate Change is one of the core challenges of our time. The lenses are used as a grounding point - not every session is about the lenses. The lenses inform how we think about solutions and our approach to social change.
Who should apply? You are:
- Aged 18–32
- Passionate about changing the way the world works, and committed to being active at the centre of social change
- Certain that there are better ways for us to take care of each other and the planet
- Willing to take a risk, join a team, and learn more about yourself
- What level of commitment is required from me, and when?
- By joining Next Up you’re committing yourself to an extraordinarily rigorous and exciting program. The program runs from Oct. to May, 2018 and during that time you will:
- Attend one week-day evening session 6 - 9 pm per week
- Attend one day-long weekend session per month (Generally Saturdays from 10-4pm)