Social Return on Investment: Capturing Value and Values
Social Return on Investment (SROI) is a growing evaluation methodology that seeks to move the assessment process from a focus on cost alone to one that focuses on value. This session with Anne Miller of SiMPACT Strategy Group will introduce the SROI approach, provide some examples of its use in Canada, and outline the increasing use of SROI by agencies and funders to understand and communicate the value of their work and investments. Register Now.
More Webinars: Social Economy Research, Microfinance, Social Impact Bonds, and others
CCEDNet's national webinar series offers sessions on the latest social economy research
and recordings of past webinars on microfinance
, social impact bonds
, others. Check out our Webinars
page for more information on all the sessions, including recordings and resources from past webinars on the versatility of coops
, community resilience
, financial management for sustainability
and the Canada Revenue Agency's new guidelines for Charitable Status and CED
CCEDNet’s International webinars are supported by Uniterra
, one of Canada’s largest volunteer placement programs. With placements from two weeks to two years, there are always opportunities to explore new cultures, share your expertise and support local organizations around the world. Current postings include a Construction Training Advisor in Haiti and a Shea Products Quality Control Advisor in Guinea. See all postings
Call for Board Nominations and AGM Resolutions
CCEDNet Members are eligible to vote in Board elections and submit resolutions to the Annual General Meeting. This year, two seats are up for election on CCEDNet’s Board of Directors. CCEDNet’s Board is the custodian of the membership’s vision and leads efforts to build the CED movement in Canada. Any member who wants to be part of that leadership is encouraged to submit their candidacy. The deadline for Board nominations and AGM Resolutions is April 8. Read More >>
Renew Your Membership
If you haven't renewed your membership yet, don't delay! In addition to free access to CCEDNet's webinars, memberships must be in good standing by April 12 in order to vote in Board elections and at the Annual General Meeting. If you have any questions, contact Nikyta Mathieu Champagne
, Administrative Coordinator.
CED News & Resources
- Social Enterprise World Forum - The SEWF has a new website. See the latest info leading up to the event in Calgary, October 2-4. CCEDNet will be organizing a special gathering for members. Save the dates now. Read more >>
- New Social Economy Act Introduced in Québec - On March 19, the Québec government introduced a bill in the National Assembly that will recognize the contribution of the social economy to the socioeconomic development of Québec and to determine the role of the Government in this area. It is hoped the bill will be passed before the summer. Read more >>
- Innovation and the Social Economy: The Québec Experience - University of Toronto Press has just released this English translation of Marie Bouchard's book examining the vital contribution that the social economy makes to social innovation in Québec. Read more >>
- Alternative Federal Budget - With the release of its annual Alternative Federal Budget, the CCPA shows how austerity can be replaced by a plan that strengthens the economy, including proposals for a CED policy framework and a neighbourhood revitalization fund. Read more >>
- Community Contribution Companies in BC - The B.C. government approved regulations in early March 2013 to allow the creation of community contribution companies (CCCs), a hybrid business model designed to spur private investment in the province's social enterprise sector. Read more >> March 27 has also been proclaimed 'Social Enterprise Day' in BC!
- Defining and Demonstrating Value for Money: Strategies for Assessing the Impacts of CED - This report by Ted Jackson of Carleton University has recently been added to the Evaluation and SROI resources page of our website. The report examines evaluation methods and techniques that appropriately and efficiently assess the impacts of CED initiatives. Read more or visit our Evaluation and SROI resources page >>
- Co-operators Announces $255,000 in CED grants - The Co-operators has announced $255,000 in funding to 13 community organizations, several of whom are CCEDNet members. The Co-operators Foundation CED Fund supports a variety of programs that are strengthening communities and helping people achieve greater self-reliance by providing training and employment opportunities. Read more >>
- Creating Opportunities with Green Jobs: The Story of Build and BEEP - A new CCPA-MB report begins to document the multiple benefits produced by BUILD and BEEP, two Manitoba-based social enterprises that provide employment opportunities and perform energy efficiency retrofits on low-income homes. Read more >>
- Microlending for Women in Ontario - CCEDNet member PARO Centre for Women's Enterprise is one of six organizations that will receive $760,000 from the Ontario Government to support low-income women who are seeking to start their own business by providing financial literacy training, entrepreneurial mentoring and skills development and life skills support. Read more >>
- Collaboration Coach: this on-line platform is designed to help your not-for-profit organization avoid common pitfalls, use successful strategies and make informed decisions about collaborative initiatives and opportunities. More than a tool kit, Collaboration Coach aims to be a virtual coach. Read more >>
- Academic Journals Relevant to CED - CCEDNet's Research Advisory Committee has compiled the following list of academic journals that cover subjects relevant to CED such as the social economy, rural development, cooperative development, public policy, planning, and evaluation. Read more >>
Events, job postings or news to share ? CCEDNet members should send 50-word submissions
. We will do our best to include your item in the next newsletter and/or on our website.