CCEDNet members and partners interested in hosting the 2018 National CED Conference are invited to submit an expression of interest.
The national conference is a vital part of a dynamic pan-Canadian movement for community economic development. The annual event:
- creates new and strengthens existing relationships among community leaders who share similar challenges, concerns, goals and values;
- promotes new ideas, resources and strategies to strengthen CED efforts
- contributes to skills development, capacity building, networking and information sharing among CED practitioners and stakeholders;
- attracts new people to the movement and reinforces the commitment of existing members to the approaches and values promoted by CED
- provides inclusive opportunities for learning and dialogue on the diversity of approaches and models led by urban, rural, aboriginal, linguistic and cultural minorities, and northern communities to meet their needs;
Hosting the national conference provides a unique opportunity to:
- increase the profile of community economic development among key regional partners, decision makers and the public as a powerful force for inclusive innovation and community well-being;
- position the host as collaborative leader and convenor;
- strengthen local and regional relationships and supports for CED that will remain as an ongoing legacy of the event;
- contribute to advancing a pan-Canadian policy agenda for support to and investment in CED; and
- celebrate the unique strengths and character of your region.
Host partners are responsible for local and regional mobilization, including fundraising and promotion. In order to help keep registration fees low and the conference accessible, the host should be able to secure approximately $100,000 in local, provincial or regional cash funding or sponsorships for the conference. A supplementary document with background information on previous conferences and typical responsibilities of CCEDNet and host partners is available upon request by emailing mthompson at ccednet-rcdec.ca
Information required in the expression of interest
The expression of interest is intended to be a simple, preliminary step to identify potential hosts. In 1-page (maximum), indicate:
- Reasons for interest
- Experience and capacity to organize a large event
- Potential local, provincial or regional partners
- Potential sponsorship or funding sources and amounts, both cash and in-kind.
Expressions of interest must be sent by January 20, 2017 to mthompson at ccednet-rcdec.ca
The successful host for the 2018 event will be announced at EconoUs2017 in Calgary, September 13-15, 2017.
If you have any questions feel free to contact Matthew at the email above.