Real estate is becoming increasingly unaffordable in Ontario with sky-rocketing purchase prices, rapidly rising rents, and growing interest rates. From nonprofit housing to community hubs and co-working spaces, many nonprofits are looking for ways to own their spaces or expand their real estate (for example, buying new properties for affordable housing) – but accessing financing can be particularly challenging in today’s environment.
Topics covered during this webinar will include:
- Current real estate context for nonprofits in Ontario
- The real estate development process
- Community bonds as a social finance tool to help nonprofits pursue their missions
- Nonprofit case study on how to mobilize community to purchase real estate
- Securing and managing financing in a social purpose real estate project
You will have an opportunity to ask questions during the webinar. This webinar is co-presented by ONN and Vancity Community Investment Bank (VCIB). VCIB is the only federally chartered bank in Canada that exclusively finances impact-driven organizations and projects that help communities become more affordable and sustainable. This webinar will be provided free of charge to help our network access resources for organizational capacity building.
All registered participants will receive a recording, and a curated list of resources within one week of the event. If you have any questions about the event, please email .
- Benjamin Miller, Policy Advisor/Lawyer – ONN
- Suzanne Faiza, Knowledge Lead – Tapestry
- Fay Martin, Vice President – Places for People
- Eric Visser, Director, Commercial Real Estate – Vancity Community Investment Bank (VCIB)
- Mwarigha, Vice President of Housing, Homelessness, Asset Sustainability & New Development – WoodGreen
Community Ownership, Conceptual Frameworks & Approaches, Finance