Director of Finance and Administration
Canadian CED Network
ABOUT THE CANADIAN CED NETWORK:
The Canadian Community Economic Development Network (CCEDNet) is Canada’s leading association of community-based organizations promoting community economic development as an alternative economic development model that integrates social, economic and environmental goals. With several hundred members in all regions of the country, CCEDNet seeks to increase the scale and effectiveness of community economic development, helping organizations and individuals strengthen their communities and create solutions to local needs. More information is available at /en
The Director of Finance and Administration is one of CCEDNet’s senior staff, working in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Programs, the Regional Coordinators and the Communications Coordinator as part of the management team. Specifically, the Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for the overall financial management, reporting, implementation and coordination of the financial systems. Additionally, the Director of Finance and Administration is the coordinator of the human resource management functions of the organization, managing and evaluating staffing and compensation structures, employee benefits plans and policies, employee contracts, employee review procedures, and is responsible for the completeness and confidentiality of all personnel files.
Overall Management of CCEDNet Financial Affairs
• Ensure CCEDNet accounts are maintained in Quickbooks
• Ensure appropriate financial policies and procedures are in place
• Ensure financial policies are adhered to and implemented
• Manage accounts payable and receivable, ensure that all transactions are coded to projects, or to administration
• Prepare monthly financial reports to the Board of Directors
• Provide project staff with financial materials (general ledgers) for timely reporting.
• Prepare year end audit materials and liaise with auditors
• Ensure cheque-writing and credit card policies are followed
• Ensure all monies are deposited correctly
• Assist Executive Director with preparation of annual budgets
• Brief Board on all of the above
• Ensure compliance with government regulations (CCRA, WCB, etc)
• Ensure member invoicing is completed in an accurate and timely basis
Participate in Management Team
• Lead long-term strategy development and tracking
• Assist project staff with budgeting, reporting and development of reasonable project budgets for proposals
• Oversee project tracking and coding of projects
Human Resource Management
• Ensure employee contracts and job descriptions are complete and current
• Evaluate the adequacy of existing human resource policies and procedures and recommend new ones to the Board, including the design of comprehensive compensation guidelines for all staff
Corporate & Charitable Donations
• Oversee development of corporate donor fundraising plan
• Help to identify potential corporate donors
• Report on progress
• Supervise the administrative team including the Administrative Assistant and Bookkeeper
• Reports to the Executive Director
• Communicates effectively with staff, elected Board and committee members and all levels of the organization
• Works closely with all staff
• Works closely with the Treasurer providing regular reports, statements and schedules as requested
• Accounting designation or a senior level CGA or CMA student. University degree in management or equivalent experience
• 5-7 years financial management experience
• History working with non-profit organisations
• Proficient with computers, email, internet and QuickBooks
• Ability to learn new programs easily
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
• Positive attitude, problem solver, entrepreneurial, team player, willing to take responsibility, able to accomplish tasks and provide leadership under stress
• Requires extensive computer use and teleconferencing with staff and members.
• May involve overtime work at peak periods.
• A competitive compensation package, including extended benefits, is available
• Twenty days vacation per year.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Start Date: No later than October 3, 2008
*Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.