This report examines financing for the social enterprise sector in Winnipeg and Manitoba. The report utilizes a literature review, which covers the last ten years of peer-reviewed articles (2015-2016) as well as an environmental scan of funding programs available to social enterprises and entrepreneurs. Below are the key findings and recommendations coming out of the report
- There is a significant need for additional, up-to-date research into the social enterprise sector in Winnipeg and Manitoba.
- Financing of a social enterprise requires innovative financing tools for each stage of the social enterprise’s development.
- Attraction and retention of highly qualified personnel is a barrier to the development of the social enterprise sector.
- Conduct additional research to determine:
- What business skills are required by social enterprises and how best to implement an educational strategy for current and future social entrepreneurs, and
- What human resourcing issues are Winnipeg and Manitoba social enterprises facing and how best to manage current and future human resource issues?
- Financing tools should be created for each stage of social enterprise development to assist in their development and growth.
- A human resourcing strategy should be developed in partnership with post-secondary institutions for Winnipeg and Manitoba’s social enterprise sector.
Table of Contents
Key Findings & Recommendations
Interviews with Local Leaders
Financing gaps for social enterprise
Areas or tools for the Manitoba Social Enterprise Strategy to explore
Top barriers facing social enterprise
How to address key barriers