The need for socially just and environmentally sustainable communities are now at the forefront of social movements the world over due to the ongoing climate crisis.
To support critical systemic change, Toward Co-operative Commonwealth: Transition in a Perilous Century, a Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) is being delivered by Synergia Institute and Athabasca University.
As part of its delivery, CCEDNet is collaborating with Community Partners across the country to register for the MOOC and advance learning outcomes through the Synergia Transition and Resilience Climate Action Program (STARCAP). The program’s objective is to mobilize local climate action in ways that advance community resilience, capacity and climate justice.
STARCAP’s Community Partners
The 2023 Community Partners are:
Centre for Local Prosperity & The Deanery
St. James Town Community Co-op
These organizations recognize the urgency of community-led climate action and are already active in that work or are committed to undertaking it. We are honoured to be able to support them in their work.
The program provides impactful community building and mobilization tools including:
- a shared language for community stakeholders to speak about climate change
- frameworks to guide climate action and community resilience initiatives
- tools to network across various stakeholders (local governments, community/regionally anchored businesses, affiliate organizations and networks, youth initiatives, etc.) to advance movement building
- examples of community-led, climate activism from Canada and around the world to inspire and catalyze efforts
- participatory workshops
- 1:1 guidance on climate action and community resilience planning with environmental and community development educators
- networking and network building across the program’s community partner network
Partners will receive a $20,000 contribution from STARCAP to support program requirements
MOOC is Now Live!
“Toward Co-operative Commonwealth: Transition in a Perilous Century” is live with over 1000+ participants from across the globe. The next intake is Fall 2023.