Cooperatives are all the rage! And that’s because cooperatives are, well, pretty great. They can change lives, communities, regions, and entire economies.
At the same time, while an increasing number of people are discovering cooperatives, it’s not always clear how or where to learn more about them – whether you want the fundamentals or to dig in deeper with specifics.
That’s why the TESA Collective put together a study guide for the cooperative movement. This guide – while not a complete and total list – provides tools, activities, videos, readings, and more to help you brush up on your cooperative skills and knowledge. Some of these resources are free, some of them have a cost. But all of them will help you better understand what a cooperative is, how to practice cooperation, and the power of the cooperative movement.
The materials are not intended to be used necessarily in any order. Pick and choose from the guide what works for you!
Finally, this guide should be viewed as a continual work in progress – the TESA Collective will be adding and updating content. So if there’s anything missing or that you think should be amended, please fill out the form provided at the bottom of this guide.
Headlines in this Guide includes:
- WHAT IS A CO-OP?
- CO-OPOLY: THE GAME OF COOPERATIVES
- WORKER COOPERATIVE START-UP GUIDES
- FOR ALL THE PEOPLE: UNCOVERING THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF COOPERATION, COOPERATIVE MOVEMENTS, AND COMMUNALISM IN AMERICA
- BUILDING COOPERATIVE POWER
- COLLECTIVE COURAGE: A HISTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN COOPERATIVE ECONOMIC THOUGHT AND PRACTICE
- OWN THE CHANGE: BUILDING ECONOMIC DEMOCRACY ONE WORKER CO-OP AT A TIME
- SHIFT CHANGE: PUTTING DEMOCRACY TO WORK
- FOOD FOR CHANGE: THE STORY OF COOPERATIVES IN AMERICA
- MORE VIDEOS ON COOPERATIVES
- GREENHORN’S COOPERATIVE MANUALS: COOPERATIVE FARMING / AFFORDING OURLAND
- PUBLICATIONS FROM THE DEMOCRACY AT WORK INSTITUTE
- READINGS FROM THE COOPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
- AMERICAN.COOP’S LIBRARY / ACADEMY.COOP
- ORGANIZATIONS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER FOR REGULAR COOPERATIVE NEWS
- MISCELLANEOUS ARTICLES AND STUDIES