On February 1, 2014, CCEDNet member Assiniboine Credit Union (ACU) was recognized for their commitment to environmental sustainability when they were awarded the Anne Lindsey Protecting Our Earth Award in the organization category.
The Anne Lindsey Protecting Our Earth Awards, also known as the Earthies, were established in 1990 to recognize the achievements of Manitobans who work to protect and steward the environment. The awards are given by the Manitoba Eco-Network at their annual Reel Green film event.
Photo used with permission from Will Milne and the Manitoba Eco-Network.
Assiniboine Credit Union has a strong history of action on environmental sustainability that extends to business practices, granting priorities, and employee engagement. Some of ACU’s environmental achievements include:
- Establishing a greenhouse gas management structure,
- Committing to energy efficiency, including building a branch to LEED Silver energy efficiency ratings, and using geothermal systems in three of their 22 branches,
- Winning back-to-back gold awards in the Commuter Challenge,
- Recognition as a provincial leader on climate change, air quality and energy efficiency,
- Being named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers, and
- Reducing environmental impacts through waste management, including an extensive multi-materials recycling program, and a bi-annual waste audit.
The Manitoba credit union is also in the process of formalizing their commitment to the environment and CED values by creating a formal Corporate Social Responsibility policy. ACU is also one of only three Canadian financial institutions to be a member of the Global Alliance for Banking on Values.
It is this commitment to CED values that led to CCEDNet’s nomination of ACU for an Earthie in the organization/project category. We are always proud of the great work of our members, and privileged to highlight their work through nomination for awards like this.
Learn more about the benefits of CCEDNet membership, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.