The Canadian CED Network – Manitoba (CCEDNet – Manitoba) welcomes the Government of Manitoba’s Speech from the Throne, delivered November 16, 2015. This indication of government priorities for the final session of the 40th Legislature commits to supporting multiple areas of work for CCEDNet – Manitoba members, including:
- Working with Make Poverty History Manitoba to bring the incomes of Manitoba families above the poverty line (2015.4 Poverty Reduction Plan and Legislation)
- Developing more social and affordable housing (2015.3 Affordable and Social Housing)
- Providing training and job opportunities for individuals facing barriers to employment by strengthening the Manitoba Social Enterprise Strategy (2014.6 Manitoba Social Enterprise Strategy)
- Creating a universally accessible child care system with 12,000 additional spaces for families, and expanding Manitobaʼs workforce of early childhood educator (2013.2 Child Care)
- Investing in community-based strategies to expand local production of healthy foods across the North (2015.10 Creating Jobs and Improving Food Security in First Nations through Social Enterprise)
- Modernizing our supports to persons who face employment disadvantages due to severe and prolonged disabilities (2013.3 Strong & Effective Provincial Accessibility-Rights Legislation)
We are pleased with these initiatives that will support the inclusive and sustainable communities that our membership works for every day.
There is always more to do, and we hope there may also be support for CCEDNet – Manitoba member priorities that were not mentioned in the Throne Speech like a commitment to develop a provincial food policy council, increasing supports for co-operative housing development, and adoption of a living wage policy.